PETITIONStop the legalisation of Online Pornography
For background information, scroll down or visit our Cause page.
PETITION AGAINST ONLINE PORNOGRAPHY
I support the submissions made by Cause For Justice to the effect that:
1. “Revenge porn”, child pornography and depictions of sexual assault of children must be criminalised;2. The online distribution of *pornography must not be legalised. Specifically, the “XX” (disallowed) classification must not be watered down.*Pornography is a specific form of adult content, which violates the human dignity of its characters in that human beings are portrayed as objects (exploited) for purposes of sexual stimulation, without presenting characters truly as human beings with value in and of themselves.
3. Online distribution of all other forms of sexually explicit adult content (the “X18” classification) should not be legalised without putting in place adequate protective measures to safeguard individuals and the public at large against the harms resulting from exposure to adult content, including (but not limited to) protecting children from exposure to adult content.
3.1 We call for an official and thorough investigation/enquiry into the effects of pornography on viewers (both adults and children), actors, intimate partner relationships, vulnerable groups like women and children at risk of becoming victims of sexual abuse/violence, family stability and society at large.
By signing you agree to receive occasional emails about our campaigns. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- 5041 people have signed up 50%
- Pornography, a specific form of adult content, violates the human dignity of its characters in that human beings are portrayed as objects (exploited) for purposes of sexual stimulation, without presenting characters truly as human beings, with value in and of themselves. The online distribution of this type of adult content should not be legalised.
- Scientific research shows that there are serious harms associated with exposure to adult content, even soft-core forms, including harm to viewers (both adults and adolescents), harm to viewers’ intimate partners and family relationships and harms to vulnerable groups, e.g. women and children, who most often end up being victims of sexually violent crimes.
For closer inspection of the research evidence, view a Summary here.
How to put a STOP to this: Petitioning Government
This new call to sign the petition is a continuation of the petition that ran last year at the end of August as part of the parliamentary participation process. You can participate and make a difference by signing the petition above, to be handed to Parliament, the Department of Communications and/or other Regulatory bodies of the SA Media Industry.
Numbers matter in a democracy – your voice can be the difference!
Remember to SHARE this on social media and to LIKE our page and posts on Facebook.