BACKGROUND: What is it about?
A Member of Parliament, Cheryllyn Dudley, has proposed an Amendment to South Africa’s Abortion Act (Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1996).
The draft bill seeks to amend the Abortion Act by, amongst others,
- deleting certain circumstances in which a pregnancy may be terminated; and
- to enable a pregnant woman to make a fully informed choice regarding the termination of her pregnancy, to ensure that she has access to –
- ultrasound examinations and
- sufficient mandatory counselling.
The deadline for indicating our support for this Amendment is 11 August 2017.
RISKS, DANGERS AND OPPORTUNITY: What is at stake?
The Amendment provides an opportunity to be part of policy-making/legislation that will increase the chances of innocent unborn babies to be born alive. In the last couple of days leading up to the deadline, there has been great opposition to the Amendment, which – if it is not met by our support for the Amendment – could result in the Amendment being thrown out.
SOLUTION: What can be done? What can you/we do?
Each person in South Africa has a voice. The time is NOW to SPEAK UP on behalf of unborn children. To support this cause, follow these 3 easy steps:
- Copy the following text into the body of a new e-mail message:
“Dear Madam Speaker of the National Assembly,
I support the amendments to the Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act, proposed by Cheryllyn Dudley, MP in the Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Amendment Bill (the Bill). I agree with the proposals made in the Bill – I agree with both the purpose/intent and the effect of the proposals – which I understand, amongst others, will result in:
- A shift in policy to assist women to save the lives of their children and/or care for their children, rather than aborting them due to social or economic inadequacies, at a time when the baby has been living in the womb for more than 12 weeks.
- Doing away with a vague and overbroad ground for abortion after 20 weeks of life in the womb (risk of injury to the baby), which ground is in any event provided for in other existing grounds (if the baby suffers from a severe physical or mental abnormality, or continuation of the pregnancy would result in severe malformation of the baby).
- The provision of ultrasound examinations to a pregnant woman, to enable her to make a fully informed choice regarding the termination of her pregnancy.
- The provision of adequate mandatory counselling to pregnant women contemplating the termination of their pregnancies, to assist pregnant women to make fully informed choices, as well as aftercare counselling to women who have chosen to terminate their pregnancies.”
Remember to include your name and city/town of residence at the bottom of the e-mail.
2. Insert the following text into the subject line of the e-mail:
“SUPPORT: Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Amendment”
3. Send the e-mail to the following two e-mail addresses (and remember to request a confirmation of receipt):
WE HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. A CHANCE TO SAVE INNOCENT LIVES. LET’S DO THIS, LET’S SAVE THEM!!!